An adapter is a device with a cord that plugs into an electrical outlet and functions as an external power supply for a small or portable electronic device. In other words, an 2 pin adapters is a connector that changes the plug shape to match the outlet and complete the electrical circuit.it doesn’t change the electrical output or voltage in any way.
Types of plugs
There are mainly three types of plugs. Type A, Type B and Type C. These are different types of adapters on the basis of location and concentration of voltage and current.
Type A plugs
The US, Canada, Mexico and Japan uses Type A plugs. It has 2 flat live contact pins which are arranged in parallel at a distance of 12.7 mm. Type A adapters are specially used for smaller devices. Due to its design, the plugs are not protected against polarity reversals.
Type B plugs
Type B adapters are mainly used in the North American region. They have two flat live contacts and an additional offset is arranged which serves as a protective conductor. This offset makes the plug protective against polarity reversal. The offset contact is longer than the two other live pins and therefore joins the socket before them.
Type C plugs
Type C adapters are used in Asia, Europe and Africa and theses adapters are unearthed and consist of two 4mm rounded pins placed 19mm apart. They are compatible with 220 V and up to 16 A. Their socket is always compatible with plug type C. They are mostly used plug internationally. This two wire plug is ungrounded, unpolarised and has two round prongs. While Type C plugs are used in many parts of the country, Type C sockets are not used that much.
Best travel adapters
2 pin adapters plug have come a long way in the past few years and can even be of use when you are not traveling. For one thing, it’s easy to buy an adapter that can be used in just about any region. You can even find some world adapters, which will take any plug type, and connect to any socket. Ideal not only for travelling, but also for any international tech that you end up bringing back from your trip to use at home.
TEC UK to EU Travel adapters are used about anywhere in Europe. They are cheap and cheerful, but they work and for most people that’s enough. They also cost a lot less online than buying the exact same one at the airport.
TEC UK to US Travel adapters are very similar lines, the same adapter, but for the US and other countries. That use this plug type, which includes Canada, Mexico, Japan and most of South America among other locations.
How to use a travel adapters
The following steps should be followed when carrying a 2 pin adapter plug with you while traveling.
- The first step is to check the electrical system and the plug type for the country where you will be traveling. Consult a reference that lists electrical specifications for countries.
- Next thing is to purchase a travel adapter to fit the electrical outlet based on the type of plug or socket used. Plug adapters bear a letter corresponding to the plug configuration.
- Third step is identify power requirements for device by checking label on back of the device or information. On the power transformer for the voltage to determine whether a converter is needed. You need to consult the manuals if there is any confusion in using the device.
- Calculate the wattage for the device by multiplying voltage with electric current. If a small device requires a small wattage and doesn’t have a transformer, it may be damaged because a transformer isn’t used to prevent a power surge. Attach the power cord to the device when you arrive at the destination.
- Match the prongs of the plug and insert the plug adapter into the wall outlet. Prevent the power surge or sparks by checking that the cord and the adapter fit tightly together before plugging into the power supply.
Differences between Plugs and Converters
An adapter plug changes the plug configuration so that your power plugs into the wall socket in the foreign country you are visiting. A visitor changes the electricity so your non dual voltage appliances when visiting a foreign country.
Now the question remains the same, if I have 2 pin adapters plug, do I still need to use a Converter. Well, the answer is if your appliances are not dual voltage, this difference in electricity can damage and blow out appliances such as your hair dryer.
Most electronics on the market today are dual voltage and don’t require a converter. Smart phones, e-readers, tablets and laptops are dual voltage.
In nutshell, if you are travelling to a foreign country, you will most likely need to bring an old adapter. You only need a converter in the case if your appliances are not dual voltage and not compatible with the electricity in your destination country.
Converters not only facilitate the connectivity but also change the form of the medium passing through the component. For this reason, converters are considered active components. The simple example of a converter is to 110V to 220V using transformers. It enables the interoperability of the systems by changing the forms of the media passing through, that is current and voltage; hence known as voltage converter.
In this article,adapters and their different types were discussed. When you are a traveler, knowledge about plugs becomes crucial because different regions in the world have different kinds of electrical outlets. So, to avoid frustration you need to choose among Types A,B & C to know which kind of adapter suits your needs.