One of the most widely used computer programming languages is Java, and it’s also a platform. A platform is a software development environment that aids in creating and executing programs written in any programming language.
Furthermore, several frameworks have been created to make Java’s development easier and faster. Before we go any further, let’s define what a web framework is.
A web framework is a tool that allows you to quickly create web apps without having to code the program’s core functionality. A framework refers to a structure that may change to develop new applications for specific software swiftly. As a result, a web framework streamlines the entire software development process. Rather than creating all the sophisticated software code from scratch, you can use the framework to make particular modifications without rewriting the whole code.
If you utilize a popular Java framework, you may concentrate on building your app’s business logic rather than the foundational operations like database connectivity and exception handling. As a result, if you know how to use java frameworks, you’ll be able to get started quickly. In 2022, the following are the most popular Java frameworks for web development:
Let’s look at some of the best Java frameworks to learn in 2022 if you’re a Java developer or want to be one.
Spring is an open-source framework that any Java application can use. It solves the problem of tight coupling between modules by allowing for loose coupling, which means that changes in one class do not necessitate changes in other categories. Spring is a complete product in and of itself, as it includes capabilities like setup and security. Because it has a vibrant community, there is a wealth of information available.
Spring has the following qualities that make it stand out and impress developers:
- Inversion of control (IoC) — Instead of being done at compile-time, object coupling is done at runtime.
- Dependency Injection works with IoC to enable loose coupling by giving object dependencies.
- It comes with extensive documentation.
- Spring has a lot of help from the community.
- Java is a highly portable and secure framework.
- It guarantees a high level of performance.
- The learning curve is quite steep.
- Because it has so many functionalities, developers are frequently perplexed about which one to utilize.
- The Java framework ignores cross-site scripting.
- It necessitates a significant amount of XML.
Hibernate is an Object-Relational Mapping (ORM) that simplifies Java database management by reducing JDBC issues. It does not enable object-level relationships, which is a fundamental idea in application development. HQL stands for Hibernate Query Language (Hibernate Query Language). It creates an abstraction layer that maps database tables to Java classes directly, allowing the code to be freely connected. Hibernate eliminates the need for developers to worry about creating database connections or conducting operations because Hibernate does it for them. The hibernate.cfg.xml file contains database setup and mapping information.
Advantages of Hibernate
- It’s a free and open-source program.
- It’s a light framework that encourages rapid development.
- Hibernate supports inheritance and polymorphism.
- It is user-friendly for programmers.
- The Java framework is simple to learn.
- Hibernate’s data security is insufficient.
- Debugging is a difficult task.
- It is slower than JDBC on its own.
- Hibernate isn’t appropriate for small projects.
Apache Struts is a web application framework that is open-source. By partitioning model, view, and controller and binding these three through the struts-config.xml file, it follows MVC (Model-View-Controller), resulting in a convenient application. Struts 1 and Struts 2 are the two variations. The improved version, Struts 2, is recommended by all businesses. It comes with several plugins that handle AJAX, REST, and JSON. Compared to typical MVC architecture, it is easier to set up and more versatile. It is an excellent option for web developers.
Advantages of Struts
- It is simple to use and allows for rapid development.
- Struts is a free and open-source framework.
- It is dependable and easy to maintain.
- The modular outcome is possible with the Java framework.
- It integrates with Hibernate, Spring, and other frameworks with ease.
- It follows a complicated technique and, as a result, is not adaptable.
- It’s a high learning curve.
- It is not appropriate for use in tiny applications.
Wicket is a Java-based component-based web application framework. The Apache Software Foundation created and maintained it, and the first version was released in June 2005. It uses plain XHTML for templating and follows the MVC design paradigm.
Wicket is one of the most miniature web application frameworks for constructing simple Java web apps. The Java-based server-side framework is free to use.
- It has a straightforward state management system.
- Wicket is a free and open-source project.
- The Java framework supports over 25 languages.
- It comes with built-in testing features.
- It’s ideal for developing simple applications.
- The learning curve is steep.
- Wicket may not improve the documentation.
- Wicket is unable to define component trees dynamically.
Google Web Toolkit (GWT)
Advantages of GWT
- It’s a simple toolset to use.
- The learning curve for GWT is very minimal.
- It shows off well-organized documentation.
- For full-stack development, the Java framework is suitable.
- Compilation takes a long time.
- Search engines are unable to index web pages created with GWT.
The Play framework prioritizes convention over customization. One of the unique features is that Java and Scala may write Play apps, and Play does not have to adhere to J2EE web standards. Play simplifies Maven project integration and generates simple JAR files. IIntelliJIDEA and Eclipse are both supported by Play. It has a lot of features that make it popular among Java developers.
Advantages of Play
- It comes with comprehensive and excellent documentation.
- The Play has a sizable community behind it.
- It comes with some different libraries.
- It’s compatible with the cloud.
- The Java framework is free and open-source software.
- The learning curve is quite steep.
- At times, the Java framework can be unreliable.
Vaadin is a whole new way of working because it takes care of client-server connections and routing, allowing you to focus solely on the presentation layer. It’s open-source, and its components can be tweaked to build highly adaptable code. Vaadin’s UI components handle browser actions so that you can write your application entirely in Java. Vaadin is a cross-platform framework, which means you can port your code to a new platform.
- It is object-oriented in every way.
- Vaadin has several different components, layouts, and listeners.
- It’s free and open-source.
- This Java framework is tough to find qualified staff.
- Vaadin does not support the creation of complex user interfaces.
JavaServer Faces (JSF)
- It comes with an extensive library.
- It has UI components that can be reused.
- The appearance and logic layers are separated in Java Server Faces.
- It has a sophisticated architecture for managing component states, events, and data processing.
- The learning curve for JSF is steep.
- It employs a complicated Java syntax.
- It takes a long time.
“Does exactly what it says on the tin” is appropriate for a wizard-like the Dropwizard. Because of its extensive support for logging, application metrics, and complex customizations, it completes the application quickly. It combines several Java ecosystem libraries into a single framework. When all of Dropwizard’s features are combined, its rapid development of RESTful APIs and support for rapid prototyping make it magical.
- It has a short Bootstrap project.
- Several open-source and independent libraries are supported.
- With Dropwizard, rapid prototyping is a breeze.
Grails is an easy-to-use game for beginners. It’s written in Groovy, a Java-based programming language, which is a programming language similar to Java but has more features. Grails is an MVC-based framework that operates on the Java platform and is compatible with Java syntax. The rendering element of Grails is GSP (Groovy Server Pages), and GORM is the ORM implementation for it. What if we used a combination of Groovy and Java code? It’ll work perfectly. One of the advantages of Grails is that it allows us to combine Grails and Java code.
Advantages of Grails
- To compile code, developers used Java Virtual Machine (JVM) to compile the code.
- Step-by-step instructions and detailed documentation
- A collection of plugins
Cons of Grails
- Error-prone runtime language
- This isn’t suitable for multi-threaded applications.
- It’s necessary to be groovy.
- The process of integration is complicated.
Summing Up on Java Frameworks
That concludes a discussion of some of the essential Java frameworks for developers in 2022. By now, it should be clear that using these outstanding frameworks (together with the large Java libraries) can aid in the entire Software Development process and save developers time by eliminating the need to reinvent the wheel. Check our latest blogs to know more about the upcoming advancements in technology.
To suit your business’s web application development needs, you can engage Java developers. They will provide you with the appropriate solution for your projects and execute them efficiently and securely.
At Nestack, we provide you with advanced infrastructure and skilled professionals. They will help you with your projects and deliver consistent performance.
Visit us at https://nestack.com/services/outsource-java-development/ to know more about our services.
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.